PAMELA B. STUART
5115 Yuma Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20016
Member of the New York and Virginia Bars only
Based on years of government and policy experience, created a multi-jurisdictional complex litigation practice that served high profile clients including a US Senator, two candidates for Congress, corporate officers, and individuals. Briefed and argued cases in the state and local courts of appeals. Drafted petitions for writs of certiorari in the Supreme Court. Led internal investigations for corporations targeted by the United States Attorneys’ Offices. Respected as a culturally sensitive leader and a resource in international policy, strategy and problem solving by colleagues in the legal, government, non-profit and diplomatic communities. Areas of expertise include corporate and institutional governance, policy, and compliance, risk management, responding to and structuring internal investigations, employment discrimination including sexual harassment and aging, disability, insurance, health care issues, financial security, estate and wealth management, security clearances, litigation and international law. Public speaking appearances and coverage include CNN, “Today,” Washington Post, New York Times, MSNBC, Fox News, CBS, and Canadian TV networks.
Core Competencies and Achievements
· Demonstrated strategic thinking, skill and flexibility in insight, assessment, research, planning, implementation and delivery of legal services focused on innovative solutions and client needs. Adapted plans and strategy as necessary for client management. Negotiated the settlement of civil and criminal cases.
· Wrote contracts, briefs, and legal memoranda distilling complicated concepts into explanations that were clear and persuasive.
· Advised clients concerning legal rights and responsibilities, operation of compliance recommendations, business transactions, and developed recommendations concerning the prosecution or defense of lawsuits.
· Established networking, communications, and marketing strategy for law practice and non-profits in volunteer positions.
· Built innovative and successful partnerships through networking with experts in higher education, non-profit leadership, corporate, public interest and international arenas to present information to professional conferences.
· Prepared legal briefs and draft opinions for submission to state and federal courts of appeal. Tried over fifty jury trials.
· Served for many years on the Board of Directors of the Bar Association of D.C. supporting judges and activities in the local courts.
· For non-profits, led Board of Directors Executive Compensation Committee through drafting and negotiation of CEO contract, increased diversity and international reach of candidates for board positions, created popular and innovative program bringing substantive expertise to bar association members, reached out to experts and crafted a sexual harassment policy for the Cosmos Club that was reviewed by two judges from the D.C. Court of Appeals and accepted by the Board of Management, participated in long range planning for an art museum and development of fundraising strategies.
· Researched and drafted Testimony for witnesses and testified as an expert before a Congressional Committee.
· Author, The Federal Trade Commission (New York Chelsea House) 1991 and 13 articles for professional journals. Participating speaker and/or organizer of over 50 professional conferences and events.
PAMELA B. STUART, ATTORNEY & COUNSELLOR AT LAW
Led marketing and business development efforts. Participated in or organized teams of lawyers for highly complex and sensitive cases.
LOBEL, NOVINS, LAMONT & FLUG – (Member of the Firm)
ROSS, DIXON & MASBACK -- (Associate)
US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS --
Honors: Letters of Commendation from the Attorney General of Ontario, Canada, the Government of Brazil, and the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida.
US ATTORNEY’S OFFICE, WASHINGTON, DC - (Assistant United States Attorney)
Honors: Department of Justice Special Achievement Award in honor of case setting legal precedent; Letter of Commendation from FBI Director; Letter of Commendation and Special Award from the Commander, Headquarters Air Force Office of Special Investigations, for a case that was profiled on CBS’s Sixty Minutes.
US FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION -- Trial Attorney, Deputy Assistant Bureau Director, Bureau of Consumer Protection.
COMMUNITY SERVICE –
· Board of Directors, Bar Association of the District of Columbia (1994 – 99; 2000 – 2008, 2010 - 12); Committee Chair of the Year (1995); Director for Media and Public Affairs (1997-99, 2000-01); (Treasurer (2005 - 2006).
· Member, Advisory Board, Mount Holyoke College Art Museum (2005 – 2015), Vice Chair, Long Range Planning committee.
· Board of Directors, Anacostia Economic Development Corporation and subsidiaries (1993 --) Executive Compensation Committee (2005 – 2009).
· The Cosmos Club, Washington, D.C. -- admitted in 1998 as distinguished in law; member, Legal Affairs Committee, House Committee, Nominating Committee, Non-resident members Committee (2015 - present).
· Vice Chair, Committee on Grievances, United States District Court for the District of Columbia and member (appointed by the Chief Judge).
· Member, American Bar Association Coordinating Committee on Immigration Law (appointed by the President of the ABA) (2001 - 2002).
· Assistant United States Attorneys Association of the District of Columbia (President 1998-1999). Substantially increased membership.
· Chair, International Criminal Law Committee, American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section (1993-96).
· Member, Task Force on War Crimes in Former Yugoslavia of the Section of International Law of the American Bar Association (1993 -1995).
· Member, American Bar Association Working Group on the Inter-American Convention on Human Rights (1994 -1995).
· Member, Judicial Conference of the District of Columbia (1985-88; 1991-2006, 2017).
· Member, Judicial Conference of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (1994 to 2002).
· Executive Committee and Associate Member, Consular Corps of Washington, D.C.
· Master of the Bench (emeritus), Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court which focuses on white collar criminal prosecution and defense issues
· Board of Directors, Alumnae Association of Mount Holyoke College
· Research associate, (late) Honorable Arthur J. Goldberg, in conjunction with program at the Center for Law and Social Policy.
A.B., with distinction, Mount Holyoke College. Major: political science
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School