Admission & Qualifications
Swiss Bar admission (Canton of Geneva)
Master in Advanced Studies in Criminology, Lausanne University
Lic. iur., Geneva University
Clara Poglia is a member of Schellenberg Wittmer’s dispute resolution, white-collar crime and compliance, and internal corporate investigations groups in Geneva.
Clara’s key areas of expertise and practice focus on white-collar crime, international mutual legal assistance both in criminal and tax matters, extradition, asset tracing and recovery, and internal corporate investigations. Clara is also specialized in regulatory and compliance issues. Clara has acted as counsel for both individuals and corporate entities in criminal and administrative proceedings before cantonal and federal authorities and courts, including the Swiss Supreme Court.
Prior to joining Schellenberg Wittmer, Clara was a Law Clerk at the Swiss Federal Criminal Tribunal (for French and Italian languages) and an associate in another Swiss business law firm. She was also active as a translator for a renowned Swiss legal magazine.
- Representation and assistance to a company in a major investigation involving potential wrongdoing (allegations of corruption) harming the Client’s interests and giving rise to Swiss criminal proceedings;
- Representation of a corporation in criminal proceedings targeting a large Ponzi scheme and in related bankruptcy proceedings and assets recovery;
- Representation of European corporations targeted by a request of mutual legal assistance in criminal matters addressed by the U.S. Department of Justice to Switzerland and representation of the same entities in the Swiss domestic related criminal proceedings;
- Representation of multiple individuals and corporations in large scale requests for mutual legal assistance in tax matters addressed to Switzerland by France, Spain and Netherland notably;
- Representation of Brazilian individuals and companies in Swiss criminal proceedings related to the lava jato Brazilian scandal;
- Representation of a company in criminal proceedings related to alleged violation of regulatory provisions;
- Representation and assistance to a former high ranking executive in proceedings conducted by a sports authority and authorities in Switzerland.
LMG Expert Guides: Rising Star (White Collar Crime)
GIR 100 Women in Investigations 2018
GIR 40 Under 40 2020
Who's Who Legal Investigations
Legal 500 Dispute Resolution: Litigation and Leading Firms French Speaking Switzerland
Gillieron/Poglia/Villard/Vuille/Perrisset/Killias, "Le travail d'intérêt général permet-il une meilleure resocialisation ? Comparaison avec les courtes peines privatives de liberté - 11 ans plus tard", Crimiscope, n.. 34, Dec 2006, ESC-UNIL, Lausanne
Killias/Gillieron/Villard/Poglia, "How damaging is imprisonment in the long-term? A controlled experiment comparing long-term effects of community service and short custodial sentences on re-offending and social integration", Journal of Experimental Criminology, Vol. 6, n. 2 (2010) p. 115
Journal des Tribunaux, regular translation of decisions issued by the Criminal Federal Court (2012-2017)
Borsodi/Poglia, International Enforcement Law Reporter (IELR), "Recent Developments in Handling Politically Exposed Persons ("PEPs") under Swiss Law" Chapter II (Fraud, Money Laundering and Transnational Organized Crime)
Poglia, Forumpoenale, 6/2017, Comment of the Federal Tribunal's decision 1B_461/2016
Law Clerk, Federal Criminal Court for French and Italian languages (Bundesstrafgericht / Tribunal pénal fédéral), Bellinzona (2011-2014)
Associate, Schifferli Vafadar Sivilotti, Geneva (2010-2011)
Legal trainee, Schifferli Vafadar Sivilotti, Geneva (2007-2009)
Jurist, Fortuna, legal insurance company, Geneva (2006)