Kamala Naganand studied law at the University Law College, Bangalore and did her Masters in Intellectual Property Law at the George Washington University Law School. Her principal practice areas are Corporate Advisory, Intellectual property law, Insolvency and Bankruptcy and Private Client practice.
She started her career at her family run law firm, Sundaraswamy Ramdas and Anand, post which she co-founded Just law. She then went on to set up Aarna Law along with her partner Mr. Shreyas Jayasimha. As Managing Partner, Kamala has initiated various measures to bring women back to the workforce, flexible hours, work from home and maternity leave.
She heads the Intellectual property, Media, Technology and Data protection practise. She has been working on management of intellectual property, licensing and branding exercises for start-ups and companies. She has a passion for art and has been instrumental in building the firms Art law practice.
With a keen interest in economics, Kamala has helped institutions establish and enforce codes of conduct prohibiting fraud. She has worked on internal investigations and asset tracing and recovery and has built a team within the firm who specialise in Insolvency and Bankruptcy.
Kamala has also been working on case management for large and complex arbitrations and disputes.
She has advised HNI’s and private individuals over the years in on succession. The firm has worked with financial advisors and chartered accountants in setting up structures for investment and succession planning.
Kamala is a trained mediator and has represented clients as counsel in commercial mediations and is available to sit as a neutral through Aarna ADR, Singapore.
Professional Qualifications and training:
- B.A., LL.B., University law College, Bangalore University 2005
- LL.M., George Washington University Law School 2006
- Advocate, Karnataka State Bar Council (2005)
- Advocate, Sundarswamy Ramdas and Anand 2007
- Partner, Just law Advocates, 2008-2013
- Head the IP Practice at Aarna law working with start-ups, companies, individuals, authors, publishers, film producers and not for profits on Trademark and Copyright.
- Advised HNI’s and individuals in setting up various structures to diversify their portfolio of investment and help with succession planning.
- Managed complex arbitrations in India and abroad and have advised on strategy for disputes.
- Worked with corporate clients and have been a strategic advisor to the legal teams at some of India’s top 500 companies.
- Advised resolution professionals on strategic advice under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy practices.
- Practiced in the High Court of Karnataka at Bangalore and the City Civil Court at Bangalore, where I horned my trial skills and worked in a wide range of disputes including but not limited to company law, banking, economic offences, contract disputes, land disputes and intellectual property.
- Acted as counsel for various clients in mediations.
- India Chapter of Art law Review 2020
- India Chapter of Restrictions on the Export of Cultural property 2020
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, International Bar association, Publications lead, Art law committee
- Member, Society of India Law firms
- Member, Confederation of Indian Industry,
- Member, International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA) Member, International Technology Law Association
- Member, Bangalore Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Moderator, SCMA and Aarna ADR, Interconnectivity between Trade and Maritime Law, Oct 2020.
- Speaker, Webinar on “The art market going digital: What are the legal challenges?” July 2020