Davina is the co-chair of the Land Use, Water, and Environmental Law Group at Hanson Bridgett. She is an experienced trial attorney who has practiced environmental and criminal law for more than twenty-five years, handling complex matters in federal and state court. Davina focuses on the defense of environmental prosecutions and enforcement actions, environmental litigation against the government and between companies, allocation of environmental costs, and internal investigations. Davina also handles cases before arbitrators, administrative judges, regulatory agencies, and mediators.
Representative Criminal Environmental Matters
Davina is a former EPA enforcement attorney and environmental prosecutor, offering clients an understanding of governmental priorities, procedures, and tactics. As a Senior Assistant DA with the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, Davina investigated and prosecuted environmental and white collar cases involving the illegal disposal of hazardous waste, water pollution, false statements and reports, and obstruction of justice. As an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of California, Davina investigated and prosecuted environmental cases under the Lacey Act, Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, and other federal environmental laws. Davina began her legal career at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in the Office of Enforcement (now OECA), filing enforcement actions under TSCA, FIFRA, and EPCRA, and developing nationwide enforcement policies and priorities.
Representative White Collar Criminal Matters
- Represented public agency in federal criminal investigation of alleged violations of the Clean Water Act and reporting laws. No charges were filed.
- Represented company and its employees in federal criminal investigation of alleged violations of the Endangered Species Act relating to the importation and sale of listed species. No charges were filed.
- Represented individual in federal criminal investigation of alleged violations of Section 404 of the Clean Water Act for unlawful filling in waters of the United States. No charges were filed.
- Represented individual in federal Clean Water Act prosecution for alleged falsification of reports and unlawful discharges to water. Obtained reduced Sentencing Guidelines calculation based on ambiguities in discharge permit.
- Represented individual in state prosecution for overfishing. Probation granted.
- Represented company in state prosecution for failure to file updated Hazardous Materials Business Plan. Resolved case via plea agreement to an infraction.
- Represented chemical company in parallel criminal/civil and state/federal investigations for labeling and marketing violations under pesticide laws. Resolved case via misdemeanor plea.
- Represented employee in investigation and prosecution under the Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships for alleged dumping of oil in ocean. Charges were dismissed.
- Represented individual charged with antitrust crimes and mail fraud for alleged “bid-rigging” activities at public foreclosure auctions. Negotiated plea agreement with reduced Sentencing Guidelines calculations.
- Represented companies under investigation by the California Attorney General for alleged Medi-Cal fraud.
- Represented individual charged with bank fraud and tax evasion in context of mortgage and real estate transactions. Obtained variance from Sentencing Guidelines.
- Represented employees of community mental health provider who were called as witnesses in state homicide prosecution.
- Represented material witness in Grand Jury investigation of alleged telemarketing billing violations.
- Represented individual charged with distribution of controlled substances via internet pharmacy.