For more than 25 years, Elizabeth Robertson has advised on multijurisdictional business crime and regulatory matters, and has played a role in many of the most important criminal and regulatory investigations in the U.K.
Elizabeth's decades of experience have given her significant understanding of the priorities of the U.K. prosecuting authorities, including the Serious Fraud Office, the Financial Conduct Authority, HM Revenue and Customs, and the Competition and Markets Authority. She has particular experience in advising on corruption, money laundering, economic sanctions and criminal tax cases and is regularly asked by clients to assist with governance and compliance matters, including by international and U.K. companies that are facing complex and sensitive board-level reputational risk issues.
Elizabeth has successfully defended clients in enforcement actions brought by multiple agencies, and responded to coordinated dawn raids in the U.K. and overseas. Her experience spans a wide range of industry sectors, including financial services, media, fintech, mining, sports and retail. She also has provided compliance advice related to anti-money laundering, anti-corruption, whistleblowing and data privacy. Additionally, she has experience in ancillary matters, such as extradition and mutual legal assistance, as well as applying to INTERPOL for access to information or for information to be amended or deleted.
Elizabeth is an accomplished speaker on international business crime and has given evidence to the Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development Bribery Working Group peer reviews.
Elizabeth is ranked in the top tier in both Chambers UK and The Legal 500, which describes her as “an excellent white-collar crime and regulatory U.K. lawyer.” In Chambers UK she is recognized as “terrific and in the top tier of senior white-collar international criminal lawyers” and clients describe her as “just fantastic. She has an exceptionally good touch with clients ... She is the real deal.” She also previously was included in The Lawyer’s Hot 100, a feature on the most influential people in the U.K. legal sector. In 2019, Elizabeth received GIR Services to Diversity Award for her established track record in promoting and supporting greater diversity within the investigations community.
- “Thoughts from the Frontline: a Personal Perspective on the Changing World of Business Crime,” 33 Chancery Lane Business Crime Conference, December 2020
- “Sanctions and Money Laundering,” Cambridge Forums, October 2020
- “Defending Your Anti-Corruption Compliance Programme to the SFO and the DOJ: Practitioners Discuss Their Experiences with Preparing for a Meeting and What to Expect,” Anti-Corruption London, June 2019
- “Technology’s Impact on the Future of Investigations,” GIR Live Women in Investigations Conference, London, June 2019
- “Enhancing Corporate Integrity: A Fresh Approach to Fraud Prevention and Regulatory Compliance,” Financial Times, London, May 2019
- “The Case Study Exploring Issues Around Regulations, Data Privacy Under the GDPR, Blocking Statutes, Legal Privilege, and Self-Reporting,” Global Form on Corporate Criminal Liability, Cambridge, U.K., March 2019