I'm a leading dispute resolution and investigations lawyer, recognized in multiple independent directories, with wide-ranging and deep experience in complex commercial litigation and pre-litigation advice, including high profile and large scale commercial and trade practices litigation, internal investigations and regulatory investigations (including investigations conducted by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the Australian Federal Police). I've represented major corporates across a range of industries, as well as senior executives, and I am known for my strategic acumen in litigating and resolving disputes.
Representative matters include:
- Representing a prosecution witness in high profile criminal cartel proceedings against a number of financial institutions and senior executives of those institutions
- Representing a major Australian bank in large scale and complex investigations by both the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) concerning trading practices in the $5.3 trillion dollar per day international foreign currency exchange market.
- Acting for a global investment bank in connection with ASIC's investigation of disclosures by a listed Australian company of certain information to equity analysts at multiple investment banks ahead of an announcement of that information by that company to the Australian Securities Exchange. The investigation concerned suspected contraventions of continuous disclosure and insider trading laws. Assisted in achieving "no further action" confirmation from ASIC.
- Representing a former senior executive of a multinational corporation in an insider trading investigation by ASIC, including in litigation by ASIC and the Commonwealth DPP to freeze the executive’s Australian assets, in a subsequent criminal prosecution for insider trading (both at trial and on appeal), and in associated actions by the Australian Federal Police for pecuniary penalties under the Proceeds of Crime Act. Successfully achieved orders from the NSW Court of Appeal quashing the executive’s conviction, and orders reversing penalties paid.
- Representing two senior executives in high-profile investigations by the Australian Federal Police into alleged foreign bribery involving major Australian engineering and construction company
- Assisting corporations, corporate advisers and individuals in responding to compulsory notices for production of documents and to informal requests for information by ASIC and the ACCC, and acting for senior executives of various listed companies, and corporate advisers, in examinations and hearings before ASIC and the ACCC (including investigations concerning alleged insider trading, market manipulation, breaches of directors’ duties, breaches of disclosure requirements, and various anti-competitive practices)