Susan Munro assists clients in the Asia Pacific region with US, UK and EU regulatory compliance and investigation matters, including anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions and trade control matters. For the past 20 years Susan has conducted numerous China-related Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and SEC investigations in China and throughout Southeast Asia. She is fully bilingual in Chinese and English and conducts work in Mainland China in Chinese. She regularly assists clients with development and implementation of ABAC, AMLA and trade control compliance policies, programs and risk assessments.
Susan has advised financial institutions, multinational companies and investment funds on regulatory and investment matters for more than 20 years. She regularly assists clients with China market entry and exit strategies, mergers and acquisitions and strategic investments, and has extensive experience in the financial services, insurance, investment funds, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, energy, semiconductor, food, apparel and software industries.
Susan has been active in Hong Kong and China-related arbitrations for many years and has represented clients in disputes before various international arbitration commissions. She regularly advises clients involved in cross-border litigation involving Hong Kong, China, the UK, the US, and other jurisdictions. Susan was educated in England and Hong Kong. After graduating from SOAS, University of London, she pursued post-graduate studies at Fudan University in Shanghai. She obtained an LLB with Honors from Manchester Metropolitan University and trained at the Inns of Court School of Law, London, and was called to the Bar of England & Wales and to the Bar of the Hong Kong SAR, where she practiced as a barrister in the Hong Kong courts.
- B.A., University of London, School of Oriental & African Studies, Honors, Chinese
- LL.B., Manchester Metropolitan University, Honors
- China Business Law Journal, A-List (2019)
- BTI Client Service All-Stars List (2019)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific, Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption: China (2012-2020)
- Chambers Global, Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption: China (2015-2020)
- China Law & Practice, Lawyer of the Year: Regulatory & Compliance (2015)
- Chambers Global, Dispute Resolution: China (2012-2014)
- Co-chair ICC Court of Arbitration Belt & Road Initiative Commission
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Arbitrator, Shanghai Arbitration Commission
- Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Vice Co-chair Compliance Committee